More Cathay 2024 Skytrax Awards and More cabin crew

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

(Caveat) I have never been at all sure re Skytrax or its awards but they seem to regarded by most as meaningful and supposedly paint an accurate picture of major airlines performance!

Cathay Pacific has been awarded as the fifth ‘World’s Best Airline’, up three places from last year, and took the supposedly coveted award for the ‘World’s Best Economy Class’.
    They were also named World’s Cleanest Airline.

Cathay Group CEO Chief Ronald Lam said: “We feel extremely encouraged to have moved from last year’s top 10 to this year’s top 5 according to Skytrax and AirlineRatings, both major airline industry rankings.

“These achievements highlight the huge strides we have made over the past year, both on the ground and in the air, and are a vote of confidence from our customers. We are very grateful for the immense support our customers, our people and the public have shown us throughout the past year”.

As encouraging as that all may be for me the best news was that Cathay has begun progressively reinstating it full prc-covid complement of cabin crew.
    This I understand is possible as more new cc have now been fully trained with also more being progressively recruited from around Asia with many of these from other airlines.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Perhaps worth highlighting:

1st place – Qatar
    Along with best business class

2nd – Singapore
    Best Cabin Staff, First Class, and Best Airline in Asia.

3rd – Emirates

4th – All Nippon

AndrewinHK
    Participant

I can understand CX winning awards, but one I would say they shouldn’t win is best economy class, I simply don’t think they are. SQ for example offers hot towels in economy, the CX economy seat is also not consistent, the older 330 blue seat is not good. Some of the 777 have high-density seating, and the food on regional routes is not particularly well presented or appetizing. The new 321 seat is good, but overall not a worthy winner.

Inquisitive
    Participant

In an earlier debate in this Forum, I posted that there could be some bias, but in general Skytrax ranking reflects the reality. This year ranking looks pretty realistic as well.

Although agree with AndrewinHK that SQ economy class is the best – at least in long haul. Besides hot towels, cabin crew do regular water run, readily meet small needs and normally generous with drinks serving, blanket/pillow to all; that I do not see in other airlines consistently.

sparkyflier
    Participant

One aspect to bear in mind re CX winning Best Economy is that their fleet is largely made up of A330 and A350.. which have reasonable seating in Y.. As opposed to 787 where seats are super narrow and in which Size 0 models might struggle in.

Rferguson2
    Participant

Having just had a look at the list have to say the biggest revelation for me was BA at lucky 13 position!

I have to say, I do not agree with the list one bit. Yes, the top 5 maybe. But Swiss #10? Not a chance. Should not even be in top 20.
    Fiji Airways at 14, Lufthansa at 18 and yet Etihad (which I find way better than Swiss, BA, or LH) are at 20? Makes zero sense.

2 users thanked author for this post.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

I always take Skytrax rankings with a huge spoonful of salt. This is from when they awarded Lufthansa 5* for its new Allegris business class in 2017! LH had only announced the seat which as we know debuted only last month. Skytrax has been known to receive payments for marketing and hence airlines get graded high.

That said, i think that this year’s top 10 is rather good/realistic.

But… how much did Swiss pay to get on that list? Swiss should not even be in the top 30!
    A few months ago LH had to make changes on my flight and rebooked me on LX. The lady at the call centre was astounded by how much i begged to fly up to 2days earlier or later instead of flying on Swiss metal. I’ve just had so many bad experiences with them in the last couple of years that i decided to never fly them again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls