Lufthansa Group to apply “environmental surcharge” to flights in 2025

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Many of you will have read the many articles we have published regarding SAF fuel and airlines telling the public about their green initiaves.

Now the Lufthansa Group of airlines will impose a surcharge on flights departing Europe in 2025 (for all new bookings in 2025 made from tomorrow June 26).

The surcharge varies according to flight length and class of travel. It varies from 1 to 72 Euros.

https://www.reuters.com/sustainability/lufthansa-increases-ticket-prices-cover-environmental-requirements-2024-06-25/

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/25/german-airline-lufthansa-hikes-ticket-fares-due-to-environmental-costs.html

MartinJ
    Participant

I wonder what’s next. An insurance surcharge perhaps? Or a wage increase surcharge? A management bonus surcharge perhaps? Why does LH think it can get away with passing on regular operating costs as a trumped-up surcharge?

4 users thanked author for this post.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

That’s the problem with being in such a dominant position in the german speaking contries (and soon Italy) and a very extensive european network. People will complain but still pay for the new surcharge. This is the same ‘full service’ airline that won’t offer its passengers in eco even a cup of coffee while commanding.
    Its unbelievable to see how LCCs have all but pretty much abandoned Germany because of the extremely high taxes on airfare.

Then again, i think that this is the trend for the big 3 in Europe. According to the Reuters article above Air France-KLM is also considering a similar surcharge so let’s wait and see.

JayLibove
    Participant

As long as the charge (sur or otherwise) is disclosed at the beginning of the process (that is, “your ticket from X to Y on date Z has a base price of €EEE which includes the following variously name garbage charges), then it’s just part of the cost, however they do or don’t dislclose or choose to (mis)name it.
    Now, if it shows up ANYWHERE later than in the first number shown, hopefully a regulator somewhere can be brought to bear against it, as it will be an abuse.

1 user thanked author for this post.

BlazeBreeze
    Participant

Looks like Lufthansa’s rolling out a new surcharge for flights leaving Europe starting 2025.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Surcharges as such is not an issue, people compare total price when buying tickets.
    Problem happens if one buy tickets from accumulated points, where one has to pay for surcharges.

There are so many surcharges already existing for most airlines ticket pricing. Recently I wanted to book a vacation ticket with my points, the surcharges that I have to pay is almost about 50% of a ticket cost if I buy without points. And with the points deductible, it was not worth it.

So I think airlines is benefiting by not adding surcharges to the main ticket cost; there could be other tax implications as well. Hence this tactic is going to stay.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Midlands Traveller
    Participant

IMO it is indeed strange that the extra cost will be shown as a surcharge. I would say fuel for an aircraft is pretty much a standard requirement, and there is no option not to use SAF in the future.

But what really struck me on this topic was the comment from Wizz Air in the Reuters article. In which they essentially propose that every person in Europe should contribute to subsidising their low fares.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller July/August 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller July/August 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls