Are lie flat sleeper seats really necessary?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• RoyC
    Participant

For how long do most passengers actually sleep and with what quality of sleep on medium/long haul flights such as Transatlantic or Europe to Middle-East?
    Would it not be better to have only comfortable reclining armchair type seats with a raising foot rest to minimize D.V.T. as ‘Premium’ with club type service and ‘Premium Economy’ with economy service whilst retaining ‘Economy’ as at present. This would have the advantage of allowing more and lighter seats and therefore, hopefully,reduction in costs.
    I appreciate that this argument does not apply to ultra long haul but most airlines have aircraft specially configured for these flights.

Mark
    Participant

No
    No
    No
    No
    No.

I want to feel like a Princess 😁

And sleep like a baby on an aeroplane I do.

CheerUp
    Participant

Welcome to Norse…

1 user thanked author for this post.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

I am one of those people who can sleep easily, my wife describes it as “cat-like”.

In the last couple of weeks I have made 4 medium haul (6 – 7hrs) flights and 1 long haul (10hrs) and slept very comfortably in the lie flat sleeper seats on each flight. maybe 3/3.5 hours on the shorter flights, more on longer flights. After a freshen up in the toilet after waking up I am usually good to go. All except one of the flights were night or partly night, I always use an efficient eye mask, seat cover and duvet. I can doze briefly in a reclined regular seat but only for short periods, usually wake up when my head moves too much.

For me the sleeper seats have become a bonus for recovering from a busy day, far more beneficial than watching small screen movies, I could not now imagine long flights without them.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Lay-flat beds were/are a splendid solution to achieving comfort on long haul (over 6 hour) flights particularly overnight.

10 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Completely incredulous question. Those who can afford will spend money for more comfort.

On question of need – does one need a mobile phone or for that matter internet to live? No. But here we are.

6 users thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

if it was really comfy i may accept it for a flight up to 8 hours but anything more and i would be moving to a lay flat carrier.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls