3-4-2 config on the 777

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Just read BT’s report on the new JAL 777-200ER seating

http://www.businesstraveller.com/asia-pacific/news/jal-to-upgrade-b777-200er-seats

It shows a 3-4-2 configuration in economy with a 34 inch seat pitch.

The sets of 2 seats are a great improvement for couples wanting to travel together or even solo travellers hoping to score an empty seat next to them for direct aisle access.

I hope other airlines take note of this ‘configuration innovation’, but I’m not holding my breath 😉

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It’s a good move on JAL’s part but I still see most airlines opting for 3-4-3 and squeezing them all in!

EU_Flyer
    Participant

LuganoPirate – 23/03/2016 08:12 GMT

Sadly for us at the back of the bus, you’re right.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Airlines flying the 747 in the 1970s had a similar configuration in Y class.

Ahmad
    Participant

Yes Alex, those were the days!!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I agree, AhmadAR. JAL’s B747 Y seating in the 1970s had lots of pitch and felt to be almost as wide as some of today’s Y+ products.

But by the 1980s, many/most airlines had converted their B747 Y seating to 3-4-3.

Ahmad
    Participant

Yes, the difference came with the change in nomenclature from ‘tourist’ to ‘economy’ class. The service was also better than most Y+ products today.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Rather than calling it Economy, perhaps these high density configurations should be renamed “Steerage”!

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Lugano Pirate

Perhaps “Sardine” class?

Ahmad
    Participant

I am not old enough to have seen Steerage but from what I hear Economy Class seems to be getting there.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I like Canucklad’s ‘Prison Ship’ naming.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

FaroFlyer. 😉

PeterCoultas
    Participant

they have the euro exchange rate wrong

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

I have heard economy referred to as Zoo Class by senior flight crew (perhaps it should be updated to 1970s hugely inhuman & cruel Zoo Class, or alternatively Saigon Zoo Class)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls